Skip to main navigation.
Outage Reporting: 1-800-934-7976

Welcome to your local cooperative's website! Please stay awhile and take a look around to discover all the ways your co-op can save you energy and money today.

Sales Tax Exemption

Filing for Sales Tax Refund

Sales tax exemptions are for fuels, including electricity, which are used for agricultural processing and production.

Documentation is the key to receiving this exemption. If having a separate meter for farm use is not practical, a listing of the equipment used for farm production is necessary. We also require that you sign a certification stating that if circumstances change or if it is later determined that the electricity sold has been used or disposed of in a non-exempt manner, that you are solely responsible for such taxes.

Determine the percentage of your total electrical energy consumed for farm production. The first step is to take your previous 12 months electric billing statements to provide a guide for your total annual used. In the event your previous 12 months were not a typical year for your farm, you can use any 12 month period that is representative. If you do not have your previous history of electric consumption, we can provide this information.

The basic formula for calculating the percentage of electricity used for production is: The sum of electricity used for production divided by the total used, multiplied by 100. It is usually more convenient to calculate the non-production used to find the percentage of sales tax exemption.

As for example, assume your total electric consumption for the year was 55,000 kilowatt hours (kWh). You have calculated your use in kWh for production at 27,000 divided by 55,000 X 100 = 49%, can be used in your application for exemption.

To calculate the amount of electricity used for production, start by making an inventory of all your farmstead equipment. The listing should include for EACH item:


Piece of equipment by function Fan Motor

For Example – one item may be:

Motor horsepower 5 (HP motor)
kWh used per hour 5 (kWh use per hour)
Hours used per month 120 (hours per month)
kWh per month 600 (kWh per month)
kWh per year 7200 (kWh per year)

After your inventory is completed, use this formula to calculate the percentage of your sales tax exemption. We can provide you with the required sales tax exemption form and we can help determine what information you need.

Remember that only production and processing are sales tax exempt. Lighting in livestock buildings, security lights or any outdoor lighting is subject to sales tax. If the only separation you need to make is between production and the lighting load, it may be easier to calculate the lighting load to get your exemption percentage. Calculating the lighting is done by, multiplying the wattage by the number of hours used, then dividing by 1,000 to get kWh used. Also, if you have more than one farmstead a separate sales tax exemption form is required for each. A properly documented certificate should be suitable.


Iowa Sales Tax Exemption Certificate
This form is to file for a sales tax exemption on your electric bill. It will not be eligible if you do not entirely complete the exemption percentage calculation. Please keep in mind that lighting is not exempt. Please contact our office if you would like a example worksheet on how to figure your sales tax exemption. Once completed send this form to:

T.I.P. Rural Electric Cooperative
PO Box 534
Brooklyn IA 52211 

IA 843 Claim for Refund
This form is to file for a sales tax refund from the State of Iowa for previous taxes paid. Fill out the form as requested and send it to the Iowa Department of Revenue and Finance at the following address:

Compliance Division
Iowa Department of Revenue and Finance
PO Box 10456
Des Moines IA 50306

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-934-7976
or contact us.

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Learn more ways to save energy Educational tips for energy savings and safety NRECA Cooperative Action Network